Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Share what you know, learn what you don't.

Spreading the wealth around can make the difference between ho-hum and WOW! For example, even though I'm new to eBay, I write Guides for members to read. So far, they deal with business basics. Far too many of the people I blog with over there are innocent of running a business with an eye to the bottom line.

By sharing what I know with that community, I get "helpfulness votes", positive or negative. I'm batting 1.000 - no negatives. Even though I have a small number of votes (the Guides are very new), that ratio puts me in the Top 10,000 Reviewers. 9933, to be exact.

Soon, eBay will put a little icon next to my ID, showing that I'm in the Top 10,000. They update such things "periodically".

I may eventually put together an eBook on running an eBay business with sound business practices and sell it. For now, giving away what I know gets me more than money: I've got credibility.

BTW, rumors that my sister's vote put me over the top are unconfirmed.

No, really!